FREEDOM FOR UYGHURS – NEVER AGAIN RIGHT NOW
Right now, over a million Uyghur Muslims are being held behind several layers of fences, barriers and sophisticated surveillance – in vast, industrial-scale concentration camps (not extermination camps) in the Chinese province of Xinjiang. The Chinese government is persecuting its Muslim minority population through a ruthless, industrialised campaign of brainwashing, torture, and dehumanisation.
In the concentration camps, leaked files revealed that people are forced to eat pork, drink alcohol and denounce their identity as Muslims. Detainees are forced to take pills, injections, and are subjected to sterilisation procedures, medical experiments, and organ harvesting.
The machinery of the Chinese state, actively aided by corporations producing in Xinjiang and passively aided by the indifference of the rest of the world, is being used to silently strip the Uyghurs of their human rights. China is committing cultural genocide and the world’s silence is deafening.
As young European Jews, a people who have endured genocide and statelessness in the past, we cannot be quiet. As we say “never again”, we also mean real action, right now. We have launched a solidarity campaign with the Uyghurs, to turn the world’s eyes to a cultural genocide, to fight for human rights and to put an end the concentration camps – once and for all.
We, the undersigned, are urging the European Union and national parliaments and legislatures to take urgent action to protect Uyghur human rights and stop genocide in its tracks. These essential measures are, but are not limited to:
1) to recognize the crimes against the Uyghurs as genocide according to the Genocide Convention,
2) the European Union and individual member states placing economic and diplomatic sanctions on China and responsible individuals through the Global Magnitsky Act,
3) fast-tracking and proceeding with the asylum requests of Uyghurs and other ethnic minorities who suffer persecution,
4) holding multinational and Chinese companies publicly accountable and considering a boycott action to put pressure on them to stop facilitating inhumane surveillance on the Uyghur inmates, benefitting from forced labour, and profiting from a systematic abuse of human rights,
5) assigning a special rapporteur or counsel to China’s Xinjiang region, with the task of documenting the suffering of the Uyghur and other Chinese Muslim minorities, and presenting a clear body of evidence to the international community.
Please sign this petition and share it among your friends, colleagues, family and everyone you know. Together, this can be the beginning of a wave of resistance that can turn the tide and free the Uyghurs.